Gran Fondo Century & ULTRA
(And Chief Ladiga Cruise Family Ride)
Sunday, May 21, 2017
25 Years of Challenge
We are thrilled to announce our century ride has won the bid to host the 2017 Union Cycliste International (UCI) Gran Fondo World Championship Qualifier for the United States.This is very exciting news for us, as we are the ONLY qualifier in the United States for the HUGE UCI Championship that will be held in August 2017 in France!
This is a big deal not only for our ride, but for Jacksonville and our area and for Alabama, and for the whole Southeastern United States, as we'll draw riders from Europe to our little cycling mecca.
What This Means for YOU, our Riders
1. The first 25% of athletes of each age group will be awarded with guaranteed entry to the UCI Gran Fondo World Championship in France and be able to ride for the World Champion title. The first three finishers in each age group category will automatically receive entry eligibility.
2. Only the CENTURY riders of the Challenge are eligible to receive this designation.
3. UCI age groups are determined by the cyclist's age on Dec. 31 of that year. (i.e. If you don't turn 50 until August, you would still compete in the 50-54 age group in May.)
4. UCI age groups are:
0-18 (Not an UCI age Group, so ineligible for UCI World Championship. But will receive CCGF award.)
70+ (According to UCI rules, the 70+ age group must have six or more riders.)
6. For those Century riders on the equipment listed below, per UCI rules, your time will not be eligible for qualification for the UCI Gran Fondo World Championships.
Cyclists using these bikes are always welcome to ride the century, or any distance, however, as stated above, you will not be able to qualify for the UCI Gran Fondo World Championships.
Important Info about YOUR ride - Don't get DQ'd!
PLEASE READ: Very important info about YOUR start time. Don’t get DQ’d!
You will receive a colored number bib to wear that identifies your respective start.
• ULTRA (124 miler) 7:30 a.m. start
• Challenge Century – Age groups 0-49 7:32 a.m. start
• Challenge Century – Age groups 50 and up 7:34 a.m. start
• Challenge 24, 44, 62 and 84 milers 7:36 a.m. start
• Chief Ladiga Cruise ride 8 a.m. start
NOTE: You MUST start with your age group or be disqualified from qualifying for the UCI Gran Fondo World Championship. The UCI uses gun time for the qualifying results; however, we will have timing mats at the start which would show if you start in the incorrect group. You will be disqualified if you start in the incorrect group.
Erwin Vervecken, our UCI contact, explains the use of Gun Tim over Chip Time this way: "The UCI principle of gun time is based on the overall UCI race regulations. I’ll give you an example why this is applied: Can you imagine that rider 1 is starting in the back of the peloton and goes over the start carpet 3 seconds later than a competitor (rider 2) in the same age group. In the end, they both sprint for victory with rider 1 from the back of the peloton winning and rider 2 who started in front arriving in second wheel in wheel with no time difference. With net time, rider 2 would win although he was beaten in the sprint. That’s why gun time is applied in all competitive UCI events, also in the UCI Gran Fondo World Series.
CONNECT WITH US
|Home||Ride Details||Registration||Event Info||Links|
|History||Challenge/ULTRA Course||Register||What's Included||NEABA|
|Results||Chief Ladiga Cruise||Join NEABA||Jersey and Bibs||Coldwater Mountain Fat Tire Fest|
|E-News||Ride Rules||Awards||Cycling Camp|
|Sponsors||UCI Qualifying||Schedule of Events||Contact Us|
The Cheaha Challenge Gran Fondo Century & ULTRA is a Top Ten Gran Fondo in the US, as ranked by Gran Fondo Guide!